Wednesday, February 15, 2012

First post!!!

Welcome!

I'm Jenevieve and this is my craft blog. Since this is my very first entry, there isn't much to browse just yet, but expect free patterns, craft advice, recipes, stories and the like as I develop a site of crafty goodness.



Poor Man's Caprese Salad

In the summer, it's easy to make a gorgeous mouth watering salad I could eat all day just by going into my yard to get some tomatoes and basil and stopping by Aldi for their cheap fresh mozzarella. But in the winter, it's a totally different story. Here in the Midwest, the produce is sad in your average grocery store, and the fresh herbs are already wilting on the shelves. But with a spark of ingenuity, I give you this recipe even a college dorm dweller can handle on a budget. Mind you it is not comparable to the warmer season's results, but I bet you'll want a second helping!

Poor Man's Caprese Salad

3 tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 tbl balsamic vinegar
2 tbl basil pesto
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
a pint of cherry or grape tomatoes (I like organic, but this is a poor man's recipe!)
3 or 4 mozzarella sticks (if you can swing it, fresh mozzarella can easily be substituted)

Put the first five ingredients into a dressing carafe or plastic container with a lid. Set aside. Unwrap cheese and slice in "hot dog" style bites. Cut tomatoes in any bit size pieces. Arrange on a plate. Secure top of container with dressing and shake! Pour dressing over cheese and tomatoes and eat!

I must confess this is not as beautiful as the original, but when you are pining for warm days, it gets the job done. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I look forward to see your crafts projects and hear your stories!

    ReplyDelete