Friday, February 22, 2013

Snow Day


As happy as I am February is eking by, the occasional snow day is still a welcome sight. In fact, I have never had a problem with snow, just the absence of light! But the snow in Iowa, well, it's just so-so snow. With no lake effect and a lack of hills, you're left with powder to cross country ski but scant places to sled. Luckily, today's was super powdery for me to shovel since my hubby's back was sore from old man back problems (he's 37!). Little P thought she'd help and as we went, I realized how big the flakes were. You could even notice the shapes usually only visible by microscope. So after shoveling, we sat outside with a piece of felt to collect snowflakes as they fell and to shoot a few pictures to share.




 We used this site to help us at least recognize the basic shapes we were finding. Some are beautiful while others lean toward utilitarian. Interesting.


This one looks just like the symbol for Sookmyung Women's University in Seoul where I had one of my all time favorite jobs!


If you would like to do this with your kids the next time it snows, I recommend black, blue or hot pink, Little P's fave! I'd also stick the felt in a fridge, so the flakes don't melt as quickly!

Wearing our favorite hats!


Our snow day was not over once we finished with the camera. After bounding about in the backyard, we found some sites to make snowflakes like this one and this one.

Here are our results.



2 comments:

  1. Love your hats! And the window flakes came out great! so intricate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used my little digital camera and luckily they kind of came out okay. Thanks for your comment! I've had that hat over 15 years now. Eep! I'm old. :)

    ReplyDelete