Thursday, March 29, 2012

DIY Onesies Part 1: Ruffle Butt

 
     Being in my thirties has led to one certainty among my friends which is they have seriously begun to reproduce! With so many announcements on Facebook, I thought 2011 was the year of the baby. Now it looks like 2012 is vying for the spot. Last week I went to a double baby shower and there is another this week!  With so much talk about babies, I am beginning to feel pregnant! I kid.

     It wasn't until I had my very own little pea that I realized how magical babies are, so I can't help but work on handmade presents for said friends. Recently I have been doing a lot of embroidery, but I was getting restless knowing I needed to be sparked by a new goal only I wasn't feeling it until I came upon some ideas for DIY onesies. I had a pack of plain nice ones I bought unopened at a Goodwill some time ago thinking I could use them for future babies. This was my kindle for a bonfire of craft, people! Just googling "DIY Onesies" and clicking images set my thoughts racing about my abilities, cute factor and all around realistic chance of finishing some before this Saturday.  Now I will share these projects, views, links and pics to help inspire you.

Our first project fanning the flames? Ruffle Butts.


I found some tutorials that expected you to start your ruffles with a lot of scraps and extra sewing. I am too lazy for that, so upon further searching I came across this site. It's completely easy to understand and uses ribbon, knocking out a lot of extra time and work. The site is called www.skiptomylou.org and is what my blog wants to be when it grows up. So check it out!




    I do have a few things to say about the ribbon end of this. Organza is fine. Organza with glitter (I couldn't help myself!) is a bad idea. Also, I tried out ribbon with wire. I just cut out the needed length and carefully pulled out the wire from both ends. This does not work with all wired ribbon since some are too delicate I found. It just saved me a second trip to the sewing store.

 Next up?  Super simple applique!

1 comment: